Sunday 15 March 2009

When did my name become an old woman's name?

When did my name become an old woman's name?
From the mouth of my mother it soothed me
From the lips of my lover it proved he was true
And for me and my peers who all shared the name too
It was something alive, full of youth and romance
It was taking our arm and asking to dance

So when did my name become an old woman's name?
When did it start to sound awkward and plain?
When did it cease to be used as it was?
To be cared for and nurtured and whispered, because
I don't want to be known as a feeble old dear
I don't want you to wonder if I can still hear
And to shout like a demon my name in my ear
So I end up quite startled and bristling with fear

After I'm gone, when my name is in fashion
You'll hear it once more said with feeling and passion
But until that day, won't you please give it a rest
And just call me Grandma – I think that's for the best

No comments:

Post a Comment